The 4 Disciplines of Execution (4DX) is a simple, repeatable, and proven formula for executing on your most important strategic priorities in the midst of the whirlwind. 4DX includes:
- Discipline #1 – Focus on the wildly important
- Discipline #2 – Act on the lead measure.
- Discipline #3 – Create a compelling scoreboard.
- Discipline #4 – Create a cadence of accountability.
Implementing The 4 Disciplines of Execution often leads to deeper reflection about mission, vision, outcomes, strategies, ministry plans and goals. Consider these questions:
Do we have the right WIGs?
WIGs should be measurable and have a clear finish line (E.g. from x to y by when).
Have we aligned our goals and outcomes with our vision?
Clarity starts with vision, but the more specific discipleship outcomes you’re aiming for clarify the win even further.
Do we have the right lead measures?
Over time, positive movement in the lead measures should impact the lag measure in the right direction (attendance, participation, etc.).
Are we spending enough time on our WIGs?
Spend 80% of your time on the whirlwind and focus 20% of your time on your goals.
If we’re not meeting our goals, then why not?
Consider reasons why—
- We have the wrong lead measures.
- We’ve placed insufficient focus on our WIGs.
- We aren’t doing enough legwork/blocking and tackling.
- We’ve made wrong assumptions about our people and their values, schedule, context and culture.